The holidays are upon us, and if you’re like many families, you’re getting ready to enjoy some time off, reconnect with loved ones, and potentially leave for a vacation. Traveling away from home for the holidays present a new threat to the security of your home. Because so many people leave on vacations and to see family during this time of year, it’s prime time for burglars and home invaders. Thankfully, there are plenty of steps you can take to protect your home from thieves and keep it safe during the holidays.
HOLIDAY HOME SECURITY TIPS
- Lock Everything: This may seem obvious, but the key is to truly lock everything: all doors, all windows, and all openings to your home. Even if it’s on the second or third floor, all it takes is a ladder and an open window to give a burglar free range in your house.
- Set Timers: Setting your lights on timers is a simple, effective way to make burglars think you’re home even if you’re actually away on vacation.
- Set Up Motion Sensors: Motion sensors detect any kind of motion in a given area and can be set to turn on a light if motion is detected, providing an effective way to scare off would-be intruders.
- Tell Your Neighbors: Home security can be a team effort, too! Make sure to tell your neighbors you’re leaving so they can pick up your papers, keep an eye on your house, and report any suspicious activity.
- Mind Your Online Presence: Believe it or not, burglars are always checking social media to hear when people are leaving on vacation. You don’t have to be totally silent, but don’t be too vocal about the timing of your holiday plans – and make sure to set all your profiles to private.
- Install a Security System: The only way to truly safeguard your home is with a comprehensive security system that includes things like high-quality locks, deadbolts, and an alarm connected to the police department.
ENJOY PEACE OF MIND THANKS TO THE FLYING LOCKSMITHS
At The Flying Locksmiths, we’re proud to provide a wide range of residential security and locksmithing services. From deadbolts to security systems, we’ve helped countless homeowners throughout the country protect their home and possessions, and we’d be thrilled to do the same for you. If you’d like to learn more about keeping your home safe during the holidays or want to talk about your security needs contact us to learn more.